Back to Top

Understanding Funding Methods

You may be able to get funding for your support and care at home for your loved one from your local authority or local Health & Social Care (HSC) Trust. They would need to undertake assessments to determine what type of care and support your loved one would benefit from, and whether they are eligible for funding.

Local authorities have their own criteria for assessments, so the best way to find out more about any potential entitlements is by contacting them directly or visiting their website.

If your loved one is eligible for support from the local authority or local HSC Trust, a social worker will then guide you through the ways in which they can help, and explain the methods of funding that are available to you. We work closely with local authorities and we can also help to explain the various funding methods to you when we give you details of our charges. If you intend to pay privately, we will explain the various payment methods you can use.

If you are a family member of someone who requires care and intend to pay for it, or obtain funding from other sources, we can help guide you through the whole process. We are used to making arrangements with advocates and family members, so please let us know if you would prefer someone else to deal with us on your behalf.

Direct Payment

If your local Primary Care Trust allocates a personal budget to your loved one, this means that they probably won’t need to pay anything directly. However, because it is important that they manage their budget, we will discuss their options with them in detail so they understand how it works with their local authority and what options are available to them. The situation will be reviewed on a regular basis to ensure that they remain in control of their budget and how it is used. They can also choose to draw money from their personal budget as direct payments if required.

If your loved one opts to receive direct payments, they will be paid directly to them by your local authority. You and your loved one will then be responsible for making payments for support from the payments received. We will discuss your personal support plan with you and your loved one to ensure that your budget is managed effectively and buys the very best care available. This is a popular method because it provides much greater control over how your support is planned and delivered.

Contact Us Back to Top


If your loved one is required to pay for their care privately, we will agree a clear payment structure with you and send invoices at regular agreed intervals. We will also agree a bespoke support plan with you that defines the support and care services you will receive.

Depending on your local office, you will be able to pay for your care in a number of different ways, such as cheque, debit card or electronic payment. Please check with the Mansfield branch or North Nottingham branch (whichever provides your homecare services) for specific details and to see which methods are accepted.

Contact Us Back to Top

Attendance Allowance

You may be able to claim Attendance Allowance if you have a physical or mental illness or disability that impairs your ability to adequately care for yourself.

The Attendance Allowance has two weekly rates; the rate you will receive depends on the help you and support you need. The rates are:

  • £55.10 if you need help in the day or at night
  • £82.30 if you need help both in the day and at night

These rates apply from April 2015 to April 2016 only.

As we age, many of us will need a little extra help to look after ourselves, especially if we have a long-term illness or disability. You can get a claim form for help with care funding by calling the Attendance Allowance helpline on 0845 605 6055 or 0345 605 6055.

Contact Us Back to Top

Carer's Break

Once you have had a carer's assessment, you may request a break, as part of your support plan, with your local authority. If the local authority has agreed to fund the breaks in your care plan, you should be able to choose how you can obtain your break.

After your assessment, and if you are eligible for support, your local authority will develop a support plan with you. This will include a personal budget which you can choose to have as a direct payment.

For example, you may choose to:

  • Hire a care worker through an agency so you can go on a shopping trip
  • Use the direct payment to pay for a supported holiday for both you and the person you care for – the ‘Short Breaks Network’ can provide more information on this.

Contact Us Back to Top